Chocolate chip cookies with a chocolate brigadeiro truffle upgrade!
For many people, chocolate chip cookies bring back memories of childhood. They’re a classic snack or treat and loved by all. And in Brazil, brigadeiro chocolate has the same appeal–it reminds people of childhood birthdays and parties.
Our brigadeiro-filled cookies are a fusion of America and Brazil’s favorite chocolate treats. We’re pretty sure you’re going to love them!
In fact, brigadeiro-filled cookies are quite possibly the most decadent chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever eat. On the outside they look like classic dark chocolate chip cookies, however on the inside, you’ll find a delicious chocolate surprise… a gooey chocolate brigadeiro center that oozes with each bite.
How to make brigadeiro-filled cookies
In reality, to make brigadeiro-filled cookies you can take any cookie recipe that produces thick, chewy cookies, and then squish a little brigadeiro spread into each cookie ball before baking (here’s a recipe for DIY brigadeiro spread). The result is a brigadeiro-filled cookie that’s sure to be delicious.
However, to make things easier (because that’s what we all love!), we’ve come up with an amazing fool-proof cookie mix that will help you make 8-12 perfect gooey chocolate chip brigadeiro-filled cookies. They can be eaten on their own, saved for later, used as a base of an ice cream sundae, or even used to make very decadent ice cream sandwiches!
1 stick of unsalted butter (113g)
1 tsp of vanilla extract (optional)
1 egg (medium size or large if organic)
- Butter for vegan butter (100g)
- Egg with flax seed meal (1 tbsp) and water (3 tbsp) mixed together. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until thick.
Spatula or wooden spoon
Something to line the baking sheet: parchment paper or aluminum foil
Soup spoon, cookie scoop, or an ice cream scoop
INSTRUCTIONS (detailed steps below)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and set aside
- Soften the butter: let stand for a few hours or microwave on low for 10 seconds at a time
- Add the vanilla extract and egg to a mixing bowl and mix well until the egg is completely mixed
- Add the butter and the cookie mix to the mixing bowl and mix everything until it forms a consistent dough
- If the dough is sticky, chill it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes
- Scoop some dough into your spoon or scoop. Using your finger, make a hole in the center of each ball and add roughly one teaspoon of brigadeiro. Cover the brigadeiro with dough completely and roll into a ball.
- Place the balls 2” apart on your prepared baking sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. The cookies should still be soft to touch
- Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet or a cooling rack for at least 5-10 minutes before eating. Do not touch the cookies until they have cooled and hardened
- Once the cookies are fully cooled, place them in an airtight container. They will keep well for a few days at room temperature
- Cookies and/or the cookie dough can be frozen for up to 6 months
- For a freshly-baked experience, heat a cookie for 7 seconds in the microwave and it will taste like it just came out of the oven!
- Here’s a recipe for making your own brigadeiro filling (which can be used for baking, rolling into brigadeiros, spooned, and more!)