Recipe: Easy pancakes with a surprise brigadeiro filling
It’s a family tradition in our house to make pancakes on the weekend. My kids love them, and I have to confess, I love them too!
I also love that my kids can help me make them. They’ve become pros at gathering the ingredients, pouring, mixing, and now even flipping the pancakes. We’ve even gone so far as to cook them in fun shapes (here’s a cool how-to video) and add all sorts of mix-ins and toppings. My favorite bit though is sitting down at the end and devouring every last crumb together!
Now because I love a good kitchen experiment, one weekend I tried adding some brigadeiro to our pancakes. The result? Literally incredible. I’m talking pillowy soft, fluffy, homemade pancakes stuffed full of warm melted brigadeiro. They’re a next-level breakfast treat!
And the best bit? They’re SUPER EASY to make!
Here’s my personal brigadeiro-filled pancake recipe so you can make your own brigadeiro pancakes at home.
If you make them, be sure to tag #tinyBchocolate—I’d love to see your creations!
1 jar of brigadeiro spread (or make your own)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
To avoid a chocolatey mess, it’s best to work with cold brigadeiro. I recommend placing your brigadeiro jar in the refrigerator or preparing a number of frozen brigadeiro ‘discs’.
To make the frozen discs, line a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper. Take a scoop of brigadeiro and spread it into a circle that’s just about ¼ inch thick and just smaller than the expected size of your pancake. Repeat until you have approx 10 discs and then place the sheet in the freezer for 45-60 minutes until frozen. Keep them there until you’re ready to cook your pancakes.
1. Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combineCombine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to combine2. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gently pour the wet ingredients into the well. Whisk until just combined3. Add in the melted butter and stir until combined. The batter will be slightly lumpy4. Melt ½ tsp of butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Once melted, mop up any excess butter in the pan with a paper towel5. Gently ladle ¼ cup of pancake mix into the flying pan. Then either place a scoop of chilled brigadeiro or a frozen brigadeiro disc in the middle of the pancake. Immediately cover the brigadeiro with more pancake mix6. When you see bubbles around the edge of the pancake, flip and cook the other side until golden7. Repeat with the rest of the pancake mix, adding more butter to the frying pan when necessary8. Serve with a berry sauce, fresh berries or bananas, coconut, syrup, whipped cream… literally any of your favorite pancake toppings!
- Your pancake batter should be slightly thicker than usual so it can accommodate the brigadeiro layer. If you use a pre-made pancake mix, just add a few extra tablespoons of flour to thicken it up!
- If you’re making the frozen brigadeiro discs, make sure they’re not too thin so they’re easy to peel off the paper. Also keep them in the freezer until you’re ready to put them in a pancake. They’ll soften quickly and turn into a sticky mess before you know it!
- If the brigadeiro leaks out of the pancake and spills into the frying pan, scrape off the cooked brigadeiro before making your next pancake. Burnt brigadeiro doesn’t taste very good at all!
- If you don’t have brigadeiro and don’t want to make your own, you can substitute the filling for nutella, dulce de leche, jam, or even peanut butter. All are delicious!